The Greeley-Weld County Airport opened at its current location in June, 1944. A petition drive by local aviators, lead by Clarence F. “Red” Crosier, who was killed in action while flying a B-26 over France in a pre D-Day air raid, was key in the establishment of the airport. The airport was originally known as the Greeley Municipal Airport, and was dedicated as Crosier Field on September 24th, 1944. At the dedication ceremony, a large portrait of Red Crosier was unveiled, which presently hangs on the mezzanine level of the airport terminal building.
Passenger, air mail, and express services were inaugurated in August, 1947, by Challenger Airlines, using Douglas DC-3’s. Substantial improvements to the airport began late in 1949, and in 1950, the airport installed its first substantial airfield lighting equipment, allowing for nighttime operations. Construction of hangars and other support facilities continued through the 1950’s, and construction of additional substantial improvements began in the early 1960’s.
In 1963, Weld County joined the City of Greeley in a joint venture in the ownership and operation of the airport. Additional hangars were constructed throughout the 1960’s, as was a new airport terminal and administration building in 1964. In 1971, initial talks began concerning the substantial expansion and growth of the airport. In 1978, by joint resolution, the City of Greeley and Weld County created the Greeley-Weld County Airport Authority, under the Colorado Public Airport Authority Act. The airport for the first time, had an independent governing body which was solely responsible for the operation and development of the airport. One of the first actions undertaken by the Airport Board was to hire the airport’s first full time professional Airport Manager.
Additional hangar and minor improvement projects continued through the 1980’s. In 1996, the Airport Authority undertook the first phase of the most comprehensive expansion of the airport since its establishment. The project focused on the construction of a new 10,000’ runway and taxiway system, the construction of a new terminal and administration building, and landside infrastructure improvements to improve accessibility to the airport and its commercial businesses. The new runway and the new terminal building both opened in 2000, and final work on all phases of airfield expansion was finally complete in 2003. Also, from 2002 through 2005, re-habilitation of pre-existing airport runways and taxiways took place.
In 2004, the Airport Board adopted a new 20 year Airport Master Plan, which outlined plans for continuing hangar and business development on the airport. Projects contained within this plan are now either underway or being planned for.